Defy gravity with aerodynamics and feel exhilarated! Everything you need to fly a kite in Seabrook is available in Seabrook and the surrounding area.
Check. Shops to buy a kite or two.
- Red Cedar Surf Co.
- brooklets toys
- Buck’s Bikes
- Hi Flyers Kites & Things in Pacific Beach
- Make a kite from instructions online, How to Make a Kite
Check. Open beaches and fields.
Check. Breezy salt air.
Check. That easy feeling of a Saturday afternoon.
Be sure to fly your kite in an open area free of trees and power lines.
Here’s a short informational YouTube video on How to Fly a Kite.
10 FACTS TO SHARE
- Kite flying is one of the fastest growing sports in the world with over 50 million kites being sold in the U.S. every year.
- It is now thought that the first kites flown over 3,000 years ago, were made from leaves.
- The idea of airplanes and flights were derived from the theory of flying kites.
- In 1752, Benjamin Franklin used a kite to demonstrate the electrical nature of lightning.
- Large kites were once banned in East Germany because of the possibility of people being lifted over the Berlin Wall.
- The Chinese believe that when you tilt your head back to look at a kite in the sky, that your mouth opens slightly, which gets rid of excess body heat giving you a healthy yin-yang balance.
- Kites were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and newspapers.
- Kites represent joy, happiness, and harmony in many countries.
- The largest International Kite Festival is in Ahmedabad, India during the festival of Uttarayan (Makara Sankranti or Maghi).
- The largest kite in the world is the Megabite at 55 x 22 meters (630 sq. meters).
- The record for the highest single kite flown is 3,801 meters (12,471 ft). For perspective, the elevation of Mount Rainier is 14,411 ft.
Sources: Summaries of numerous corroborative websites.